Rob Hopkins, author of From What is to What if and founder of The Transition Town Network explains to Old Fox Young Fox how communities around the world are coming together to make a difference.
We discuss his book From What is to What if and the premise that drives it and how he found himself moving from teaching Permaculture to founding a global movement now spanning over 1,200 towns.
This is inspiring stuff and speaks deeply firstly to the dire global situation we find ourselves in and importantly acts as a call to arms for us all to feel empowered to do something about it. Because together, we can just get more done.
About the show:
Old Fox Young Fox is an intergenerational conversation between Jeremy Woolwich and Oliver Happy, one that explores the impacts of a rapidly changing world.
- Check out Ollie's new show: Problem Busters
- Transition Movement: https://transitionnetwork.org/
- Book - Rob Hopkins: From What is to What if (available from Hive, or Amazon UK or Amazon US if you must)
- Book - Rob Hopkins: The Power of Just Doing Stuff
- Book - Rob Hopkins: The Transition Companion
- Podcast: From What is to What if: https://www.robhopkins.net/
- Extinction Rebellion
- The Sunrise Movement
- 360 degree organisation
- Community Energy Movement
- Book - David Fleming: Lean Logic
- Circular Cities
- The Ellen Macarthur Foundation
- Monsanto, France
- Tool - Openspace
- Crystal palace food market: http://www.crystalpalacetransition.org.uk/food-market.html
- Flat pack democracy movement: https://www.flatpackdemocracy.co.uk/
- Control shift
- New Economy: https://neweconomy.net/
- The Declare Movements
- Me too movement
- Black Lives Matter movement
- Muniscipalities in transition: https://municipalitiesintransition.org/
- Politician - Denis Healey: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Healey
- Activist - Greta Thunberg: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg
- Concept - Create the future from the future
About our guest:
Rob Hopkins is an author, activist and founder of the Transition Movement. He resides in Totnes, England and has written 4 books on the state of our environment (and what we can do about it). Rob travels widely (only via train) to share the inspiring stories of Transition Towns and the many projects large and small they have undertaken to improve their corner of the universe.